A common question I get is “how do I start a blog?” I understand that it can seem pretty daunting, but it’s not too bad if you just go step by step. I’ve put together some useful resources to set up your website, style it to your liking, and start working with brands to make some money! I recommend going through some of the resources below so you have a good understanding before you actually start purchasing and creating things. I think the main takeaway, though, is to share things that interest you. Things you’re passionate about. It’s easy to get burnt out and you can help avoid that if you stick to things you truly enjoy.
THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS, WHICH MEANS I RECEIVE A COMMISSION IF YOU CLICK + PURCHASE SOMETHING. PLEASE VIEW THE DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR MORE DETAILS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT + HAPPY SHOPPING!
Hosting + Website Templates
So, to actually create your blog you will need to purchase hosting and a domain name. It varies on pricing, but typically they do good deals for your first purchase and the longer you commit to the contract (5 years vs 1), the better, too. After you’ve got all that squared away, you’ll want to find a template or layout that you like for the look and feel of your blog.
- IONOS – This is the hosting I use for my domain name/URL and website hosting. See if the URL you want is available and price it out. They also have super easy install of WordPress.
- WordPress.org – There’s a reason this is the most used platform for bloggers! It’s very user-friendly and supports so many customizations and plugins to tailor your site to your preference.
- <em>press Themes
- 17th Avenue Designs
- Hello Yay Design
- Studio Mommy Design
Here are some useful resources that go over some common ways to get traffic to your blog and/or make money from your blog.
Blogging Her Way
Dale is a six figure blogger who’s content can teach you how to start your own successful blog and make money blogging! She has tons of free content on her blog, including step-by-step instructions on setting up a new blog, as well as some paid resources.
SEO For Bloggers
Nele is a travel blogger and SEO specialist. As well as sharing free travel guides and itineraries on her own website, she helps bloggers and small businesses gain visibility on Google. Organic traffic is THE way to get people to your website without having to continue spending money on advertisements or time promoting it on social media.
Boss Girl Bloggers
Boss Girl Bloggers is an online community for women who are going after their entrepreneurial dreams! The community has grown to over 33,000 members!
Affiliate marketing is where you promote (link to) another company’s product or service in return for a commission on the sales you generate. Commissions are typically a percentage of the sale price.
Collaborate with Brands
Working with brands is a great way to create content for your blog, such as reviews! You can do reviews on your own, though, and I’d recommend starting there. Then you can use the following tools to try out new brands or products without having to purchase yourself.
- Blog Meets Brand – a marketplace that allows advertisers to gain access to bloggers for social content promotion and bloggers to monetize their blogs.
- Brand Backer – Get your blog and social profiles in front of relevant brands and build a working relationship. Give your followers access to early products, discounts and giveaways. Find other great blogs to partner with.Receive products to review and show off to your readers, friends and followers. Earn money promoting great brands. Set your rates and get paid per post not per click.
- For Bloggers Only – a unique marketplace for bloggers and brands to collaborate and create stunning content. Bloggers can obtain premium products from a range of top-tier brands, providing huge content potential with high quality brand exposure.
- InfluenceHer Collective – We’re a tight-knit influencer community that encourages collaboration and provides members with the resources to build each other up.
- Influence.co – the growth engine for influencer marketing. Where influencers, brands and agencies show off their best work, find each other for collaborations, and learn how to be successful in the most exciting media channel in the world.
- Tribe – make money promoting products you already use and love with the Tribe app.
Have you found any useful resources I didn’t have listed? I’d love for you to share in the comments below!